Thursday, March 13, 2014

All Natural Homemade Sunscreen

My passion for all natural cosmetics took a serious turn as soon as I became a mom. Like every new mom, I wanted to give my daughter the very best and so started exploring all the natural products available on the market. Many of them worked very well for me for about 1.5 years until I saw my daughter use the very same products on her dolls as they too according to her had dry skin. Although, I really appreciated the thought process, I inwardly cringed as those were expensive items. Hence, the quest for cheaper natural alternatives emerged. I was very clear that I only wanted all natural stuff for my kid. In my mind, if it is safe enough to put in your body, it is safe enough to put on your body. Hence my research began and to my surprise I found a myriad of recipes online. With all these recipes in my kitty and amazon to buy many of the raw ingredients, my journey for making homemade cosmetics began. I must say there are some recipes which have come out very nice and some not so nice but at the end of the day, it is all natural, made me and my daughter very happy and was made from the heart.
Homemade sunscreen is one such recipe which I have perfected. I have handed these out as samples to many of my friends and family and each and every one of them have raved about this. In fact, there are some friends who will only use this and nothing else. This recipe is a very easy and forgiving which you can make your own. You can put them in a container, empty deodorant containers, empty chapstick containers or anything you fancy. 

SUPPLIES NEEDED
Your ingredients (See below list)
Your containers (I use a variety of containers – I keep the container at home to apply at home before leaving. I keep the tubes in my car and the chaptick version in my purse.  I buy my containers from Elements Bath and Body
Hand Blender - If you plan on making these often I would consider buying one just for this purpose. You can either buy it at a local garage sale or pick a cheap one from amazon or any store. I have this blender and it has been working well for me so far. (Hand Blender)
Medicine Dropper (Optional depending on the container you are using)
Glass container 
Double Broiler set up
Measuring scale or Measuring Cups/Spoons
INGREDIENTS

2 oz or 1/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil – I buy mine from Costco. 
2 oz or 1/4 cup Organic Shea Butter -  I buy this from amazon (Shea Butter)
1/2 oz or 1/8 cup Organic Beeswax - I buy this from amazon (Beeswax) - Trust me, it is much much easier to work with pastilles rather than Beeswax blocks. 
1 oz or 2 tbsp of Zinc Oxide- I buy this from amazon (Zinc Oxide)
tbsp of Organic Aloe Vera Oil (Optional)- I buy this from amazon (Aloe Vera Oil) - Although you don't have to use this, I like the fact that aloe vera is very moisturizing and adds an additional layer of protection from the sun. 
METHOD
Measure your ingredients and keep adding them to your glass bowl
                                               Adding Beeswax to Shea Buttter
                                           Adding Coconut Oil to Shea Butter and Beeswax                     
Melt the Organic Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Organic Beeswax in the double boiler. 

One the oils are nicely melted add the Zinc Oxide and then aloe Vera Gel

Blend it well

Put then in your containers

Let it rest


You have the perfect sunscreen enjoy - The above measurement makes the below amount of sunscreen. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally vouch for this suncream. My daughter reacts to any of the suncream. I have tried all in the market and none suited her so much that i left applying one on her lest she burns her skin more and comes back with rashes on her face!
    Priya's homemade suncream came as a miracle! I now dont know what would i do if i dint have their supplies :)
    My daughter applies them daily and I am a relaxed mom coz i have found that ONE cream which my daughters skin accepts and it has worked wonders.
    I was also overwhelmed to see the entire process of making this cream. Once you have all the ingredients its a sail thru.
    I am in an awe of Priyas creative skills and her passion for natural products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that this series whilst flashy writing order was at reverence are typically secure gone, promptly it actions in behalf some grin than thanks. Prospects ought to demonstrate by genuine evils, patent as well candid up. Their essay essential be seen as a amenity of terminology also diction, lucidity of reasoning plus the compel of show. Sieciowa Kolorowanka

    ReplyDelete